Wednesday 14 March 2018

Part Two

Once the basics are all in place, I then begin to work from the back of the painting towards the front.
I add my warmer colours, in this case Raw Sienna, which once added to the Shadow colour results in a lovely deep warm shade, adding more and it becomes a muddy green brown colour, fab for the distant foliage and to suggest clutter and objects.
There is a tendency to look for those little details, shrubs, bushes and distant objects, however, I have learnt over the years to try and avoid thinking about these things, and just simply paint what I can see.
Of course, if I am using a photo, and I bring it right up to my face and peer at it, I will be able to see lots, if using an iPad I can zoom in on a section... oh dear, I do it too! However, this usually just detracts me from what is important in the painting, so if I use a photo, I pin it to the top of my easel or better still the post in my studio. If I use the iPad I stand it up and paint as if I was outside, after all, if I'm painting outside, I can't zoom in, I can only screw up my eyes to try and get a better idea of what it is I'm seeing.
So my rule of thumb is, if I can't make it out, I don't make it up. If I can see a dark shape, I paint a dark shape, I don't make that dark shape into a neat object.

Where was I? Oh yes, background first, trees, distant fields and sky, then the sheds. (always the fun bit) once the sheds are established, I add posts and anything around the sheds and behind them.
Now all that's left, is the foreground. Well I say the foreground, but that can be almost 2/3 of the painting, so I work on the most distant of that, which in this case is the triangular shape to the right of the painting, blocking in the basic sections of colour, then the posts need to be re-established, because they can all but disappear sometimes. 
The sumptuous snow fall in the foreground goes in next and finally, the little touches of snow on the posts, roofs, sunlight on the side of the shed and of course the grasses.
then I prop it up, walk away and come back to it an hour or so later, sometimes the following morning. 
I like this one. I love the snow that has slipped on the roof of the greenhouse, and I like the square patches of ground that so clearly say 'allotments'.  

I hope this makes you want to get out a canvas and have a go.

No comments: