Tuesday 12 November 2013

The Art Materials Live show in Birmingham


What a hectic four days we had at the Art Materials Live Show at the NEC, for those of you that are unfamiliar with this show, it's at the National Exhibition Centre (NEC) in Birmingham, these huge halls are filled with all sorts of shows throughout the year and  this one happened to be art materials.
I was invited by the Artist Publishing Company to demonstrate a variety of mediums and paint 5 paintings on each of the 4 days on their stand, as well as tell people about The Artist and Leisure Painter magazines.

This is Dr Sally Bulgin, editor of The Artist magazine and I, in between demos.

Dr Sally Bulgin and Fiona


Before the show, I prepare more than 20 paintings, my aim being to inspire people to perhaps try an alternative medium to what they are used to, or indeed just come and watch a painting appear on the board.
Some people who come to the show are complete beginners, whilst others are experienced painters, so my challenge is to entertain and inform as well as inspire. Hopefully people also buy either of the magazines (or take out a subscription) which are packed with all sorts of inspiring articles.

My demos this year were using watercolour, acrylics, acrylic inks and pastels and my subjects were boats, beaches, coastal scenes, flowers, sheep and water.
I am delighted to tell you that I have been invited to demonstrate again next year at the Patchings Art Festival in Nottingham in June 2014, once again on behalf of the Artist and Leisure Painter in their marquee. I hope if you missed the NEC you manage to get to Patchings in 2014.


No comments: