Sunday 23 February 2020

Easter mice

I realise you are probably now thinking 'there is no such thing as Easter mice' and you would be correct, however, this year, in my house.... there will be!
With Easter just around the corner, I decided to make some little family gifts, using scraps of fabric, some stuffing and whatever I could find in my 'bits and bobs' box. I do love fabrics, and tend to keep pieces from clothing and all the off-cuts from various projects over the years.

Sitting in the studio, with the scent of daffodils and being surrounded with beautiful colours inspired these little mice.  
Do you remember learning 'blanket stitch' at school? I think other than basic 'running stitch' and 'cross stitch' its the first fancy stitch you learn, often on pastel coloured binca fabric ( I think that's what it was called) traditionally used to edge blankets, blanket stitch is perfect for attaching pieces of felt together or any felt like non fraying fabric. 

French knots for the eyes, another easy little stitch, and some hours later....

These little mice stand 5" tall, they are weighted at the bottom ( I know, that does sound rather clever) but I used some 'out of date' split peas which have been lurking in the back of a kitchen cupboard with a 'use by' date of 2017 on them. (never let it be said that I waste anything)
I used to enjoy making lentil and split pea soup, using stock from a ham joint, but sadly, those days are no more, so the split peas have been put to good use.


This is probably a better view of them. They are very easy to make, and I think they will be loved when they 'appear' in their new home at Easter. I may even make a couple more before then, I have my eye on some patterned fabric which I am itching to use.


I might have them as the 'treasure' at the end of a hunt.

No comments: